Graduate House

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Graduate House was located at 234 Jamestown Road. The house was demolished on May 20-21, 2013.

The four bedroom, 3 bath house was built in 1913. On July 15, 1932, the College of William and Mary acquired the house by a purchase and exchange of $7,875 plus College Terrace lots 36 and 37, then valued at $2,125.

Other names for the Graduate House were the Secretary’s House (when it provided housing for single women employed by the College), the Italian House (as part of the Language Residence Houses), and Sigma Nu House (a fraternity).

It became the Graduate House in 2000, after the Office of the Dean of Research and Graduate Studies moved in. It also housed the Ombudsperson Office for Arts and Science and the campus office for VIMS.

In the 1960’s, women faculty living in the house included Millie Barrett West, Rosemary MacLellan, Joann Slaughter, Herta Anna Knoll, Marguerite Ann Stuart, Anne S. Tyler, Dorothy W. Dyer, Liliane Krebs, Lestine Rebecca Johnston, Marie E. Strohhofer, and Elaine Alper.


Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • College Directory Collection
  • Property Inventory Control Program


References

  • City of Williamsburg Property Tax Records


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.