Department of Art and Art History
The Department of Art and Art History at the College of William and Mary aims to:
- Educate studio art students in a visual language that fosters an informed and personal artistic voice through learning from direct observation and an introduction to different methods of visual expression.
- Guide art history students to understand the circumstances of the meaning, making and original contexts of individual works of art and architecture, combining in depth understanding of particular periods or fields of art and architectural history with appreciation of historical processes of change and the intellectual issues raised by their study.
- Encourage independent student research and creativity.
- Continue to emphasize the importance and centrality of faculty scholarship and creativity to inform our curriculum.
- Actively engage The College community and the public to discuss and view art and its esthetic and its historical and social contexts through exhibitions at the Andrews Gallery, the "Art Talks" Faculty Lecture Series, and lectures and workshops given by invited art historians and artists.
The Department of Art and Art History offers a BA degree for students.
- Department of Art and Art History webpage, http://www.wm.edu/as/arthistory/index.php, accessed 22 February 2010.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary
- Dept. of Art and Art History in the SCRC database.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|