Dean of the Faculty

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

In 1905, the Dean of the Faculty was created with John Lesslie Hall, Professor of English and History from 1888-1928, as its first Dean from 1905-1920 and 1922-1928. At this time, William and Mary also had a Dean of the College that looked after the affairs of the faculty with Kremer J. Hoke, Professor of Education from 1920-1944, as its Dean from 1922-1934. In 1938, the Dean of the College was renamed to Dean of the Faculty with James Wilkinson Miller, Professor of Philosophy from 1935-1955, as its Dean from 1938-1946. In 1951, when Nelson Marshall, Professor of Biology from 1949-1951, resigned as Dean of the College, the Office of the Dean of the Faculty was reestablished and replaced the duties of the Dean of the College. James Wilkinson Miller, Professor of Philosophy from 1935-1955, served as the new Dean of the Faculty from 1951-1952. Charles F. Marsh, Professor of Economics and Business Administration from 1930-1958, was the next Dean of the Faculty and served from 1952-1958. From 1958-1964, W. Melville Jones, Professor of English from 1928-1971, served as Dean of the Faculty. In 1964, the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was created and it took over the role the Dean of the Faculty played at the College.

List of Deans

  • John Lesslie Hall, 1905-1928 (Dean of the Faculty, 1905-1920, 1922-1928)
  • Kremer J. Hoke, 1928-1938 (Dean of the College, 1922-1934)
  • James Wilkinson Miller, 1938-1946 (Dean of the Faculty)
  • Sharvy G. Umbeck, 1946-1949
  • Nelson Marshall, 1949-October 11, 1951 (Dean of the College)
  • James Wilkinson Miller, October 11, 1951-February 1, 1952 (Dean of the Faculty)
  • Charles F. Marsh, February 1, 1952-1959(Dean of the Faculty)
  • W. Melville Jones, 1959-1965 (Dean of the Faculty)

List continues at Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • SCRC File.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.