Constance Applebee

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Constance M.K. Applebee was appointed an Instructor of Women's Athletics at the College of William and Mary in 1925. She was also a visiting coach in 1944. Applebee is best known for introducing field hockey to the United States. Applebee is not specifically identified in the field hockey photographs in the Colonial Echo yearbook from the time period (1923-1926 were checked). Applebee was inducted into the William and Mary Athletic Hall of Fame in 1982.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

William and Mary Articles

Most issues of the Flat Hat are available online from Swem Library.[1] Neither the Alumni Gazette nor the William and Mary News are available online at this time. Issues published in 2001 and forward are not indexed here.

  • Noted sportswoman teaches women’s Hockey Class Flat Hat, 11/17/1942, 7.
  • Assists Coeds FH, 11/9/1943, 5.
  • In sixth year as visiting coach FH, 11/29/1944, 5.
  • Introduced field hockey to the U.S. Alumni Gazette, Feb. 1978, 4 (picture).
  • Visited by women’s field hockey team AG, April 1978, 11 (picture).
  • Named to Hall of Fame AG, Dec. 1980, 4.
  • Portrait Hung in Adair Gym AG, May 1982, 10 (picture).
  • Receives Award of Merit, William and Mary News, 1/22/80, 3.
  • Named to Athletic Hall of Fame, WMN, 12/2/80, 2.
  • Dies, WMN, 2/3/81, 3.
  • College recieves ‘Apple’ portrait, WMN, 4/13/82, 3.

References

  • SCRC file.

External Links

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.