The College of William and Mary has used a cypher mark of an intertwined W and M since its earliest days. The earliest placement on an object is on the William & Mary's boundary stones. In 1714, the College ordered two dozen "leather buckets with the Colledge Cypher thereon."
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Selected images of items available from the Special Collections Research Center's Flickr page, including one of the boundary stones.
- Some Notes on the Four Forms of the Oldest Building of William and Mary College, Earl Gregg Swem, William and Mary Quaterly, Second Series, Vol. 8, No. 4 (Oct., 1928), pp. 217-307
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|