Aeronautics

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Department of Aeronautics at the College of William and Mary was initiated in 1931 by President Julian A.C. Chandler in connection with James Riordan School of New York City which was operating out of a steamship berthed at Jamestown. It was the first of its kind at any American institution.

Lieutenant Colonel Earl C. Popp, who taught at the Riordan School, offered his services as a flight instructor to William and Mary students for free in exchange for the use of laboratory facilities at the college for his students. In addition to Popp, Julian Chandler, President Chandler's son, and Yelverton O. Kent served as assistant instructors. Students learned to fly in four different planes, including an open-cockpit Biplane, a Fleet Trainer, a Kitty Hawk and a Curtis Robin. Survivors of the era recall that the planes were painted green, gold and silver. Students were required to take part in courses three times a week and additional laboratory work at the College Airport.

Once students logged 20 hours of flight time, they were eligible to become private pilots. After three years, the college deemed the cost of insurance and maintenance on the planes too much, and the program was shut down. By the end, approximately forty-four students completed training, including one woman, Minnie Cole Savage.

The students of the Aeronautics Department formed the Flight Club in 1931, and won the Loening Cup in 1933.

Material in the SCRC

References

  • Flight School, University Archives Subject File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.