Abingdon Parish

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Abingdon Parish is an Episcopal Church that was founded in the 1650s in Gloucester County, Virginia, and is also the name of a new extinct subdivision of Gloucester County, Virginia. It lies in the southeastern part of Gloucester County, on the York River and Mobjack Bay.

The parish register for Abingdon Parish for the years 1677-1780 burned in a fire in 1916. At the time, Judge Fielding Taylor of Rosewell was serving as the registrar of the church and was completing a new copy of the register. Rosewell, the home of Fielding Taylor, caught fire and was gutted on 24 March 1916, taking with it the original register of Abingdon Parish, along with all of the vestry minutes. There are three known handwritten copies of the register, created before 1916. They are:

There are also (at least) two printed copies of the Register of Abingdon Parish. The one most often recommended is by Robert W. Robins, who consulted all three extent copies in the publication of his book. There is another published copy which seems to be a publication of the Tyler/Lee copy and which did not consult the other two copies.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.